Search This Blog

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Intelligent Beggar - How to Behave Like a Fool

Mullah Nasrudin (the central figure in almost all tales of the Sufi tradition) had already become a sort of attraction at the main market in the town.

Whenever he went there to beg, people would show him a large coin and a small one: Nasrudin always chose the small one.

A generous man who was tired of seeing everyone laugh at Nasrudin, explained to him:

“When people offer you two coins, choose the larger one. Then you will have more money, and people will not think you a fool.”

“You are surely right”, replied Nasrudin.
 
“But if I always chose the larger coin, people would stop offering me money, in order to prove that I am a greater fool than they are.
 
“And then I would no longer receive enough for my food.
 
“There is nothing wrong with appearing to be a fool, if what you are doing is in fact intelligent.”